Friday, March 29, 2019

Reading Reflection No.2


This week I chose the book from the second half of the ENT3003 reading list, Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by author Carol Dweck. I decided that this was the book for me because the title was very captivating and involved with perspectives that I am definitely interested in.

The most recurring theme in this novel is that mentality plays a significant role in transitioning from being unsuccessful to successful. The author compares these mentalities by noting that successful entrepreneurs are considerably more inclined to face risks in their pursuits. These people are driven to learn new knowledge, and constantly aiming to improve multiple aspects of their venture instead of a singular focus.

This novel definitely connects with topics and ideas that have been exercised in ENT3003. Specifically, the novel emphasized the importance of solving problems and identifying profitable opportunities.

From what I learned from the novel, I would be able to envision and exercise that utilizes the importance of planning and focusing energy on progression. This exercise could be as simple as constructing a 'dream board' or to push individuals to give the extra 105% in one thing that they have being trying to accomplish, (ex: lifting heavier or running for more distance.)

The most significant moment that struck me while I was reading this novel was how in multiple scenarios, successful people almost 100% of the time chose to interact with the more 'complex' set of puzzles in the experiment conducted. It seemed to be a strange coincidence that was worth noting.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Alex! I also read Mindset: The New Psychology of Success! I liked it so much that I even watch a video from her where she explained more of her studies on the growth mindset. I agree that this book IS relevant for our class because as entrepreneur’s we have to actively adapt to things that go wrong and problem solve. I love the idea of the ‘dream board’ but I also think it’d be important to have some sort of follow up step to that to encourage people to act on those dreams. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, I also read Mindset: The New Psychology of Success. I appreciated how simple the concept was yet remains very effective. I am a psychology major so this was especially interesting. I would also add that the growth mindset allows us to receive positive feedback better. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your reflection on the book you choose. That title would have captivated me, too. I believe that the most important aspect in someone’s success is their mindset. If you put your mind to it – it can be done, and if you tell yourself that I am going to give 110% - you will make it happen for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Alex,

    I enjoyed reading your response to the assignment this week. The book you chose seems like a very interesting and powerful read. I chose to read, "The Art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users," by Guy Kawasaki. It discussed how social media, if used correctly, can promote growth in your company. Great job on this weeks assignments, can't wait to see what you post next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed seeing what you had to say about Mindset: The new psychology of success.
    I believe there is a lot of success has to do with the ability to adapt and I like that you emphasized the importance of planning as something that stood out to you in this book. I 100% agree.

    ReplyDelete