Friday, March 22, 2019

Growing Your Social Capital

      This week, I had the opportunity to personally introduce, network, and associate myself with three notable and credible people within both my prospective field and markets. I decided to investigate and pursue network relations with people in the geological sciences studies, and the renewable energy market.

      My first contact hat I connected with this week is the CEO and Founder of Sungrade, Zain Jan. Fortunately, Zain Jan gave me valuable insight with his knowledge in both the market interactions and supplier interactions. I was able to discover the sustainable movement by Mr. Jan through my own research on the rapidly growing successful startups in the energy market. He successfully has gained over $50M for his company. Our interaction was an incredible experience. He asked me explain myself, and my goals in the future. Mr. Jan then proceeded to direct me to his hiring directors, and now I am potentially on the path of actually diving into the field I am passionate about!

      My second contact, has been David Foster, who is the chair of geoloigeol sciences at the University of Florida. I was able to connect with him through E-Mail, and I later was able to conduct a meeting with Dr. Foster. I was very excited to meet Dr. Foster as he is highly knowledgeable and regarded in his science. I was able to explain to him my interest in geological sciences and my vision for the field in the future. He was actively listening to my goals, and he told me some of his own. Dr. Foster also shared with me experiences of his trips around the world during his studies. I really appreciated the visit with Dr. Foster.

      My final contact that serves value to my innovative and opportunistic goals was the demonstrative representatives at Solar Impact in Gainesville FL. This was actually the second time that I networked with Solar Impact. I first introduced myself to them at the Gainesville VegFest in February and I was able to catch them at the Gainesville Farmer's market this Wednesday with a booth with representatives. I was able to sign up as a volunteer and sign up for the E-Mail list, but this far connections have maintained in the early stages.

      Ultimately, the connections and experiences that I have made with this assignment have been more valuable than I actually anticipated. I was not expecting to receive such positive responses, and I now am potentially facing a job opportunity in California! I am very excited.


2 comments:

  1. Hey Alex. First of all, congrats on your job opportunity in Cali. Second of all, I am happy to hear that you have established contact with people who seem to be lovely role models. I definitely encourage you to work more with solar impact. They are one of the main reasons Gainesville is a leading distributor of PV per capita. It would be cool to see you work with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, congrats on your opportunity in California. That is great news. Just goes to show you what putting yourself out there does. It is also great to see the strong ties that you have with these individuals. I am sure these people will remain valuable throughout your journey. In gainesville, especially, solar panels would thrive with your concept.

    ReplyDelete