Friday, April 12, 2019

Celebrating Failure

      Innovation is a special topic because it is in some sense, a way to exploit unmet opportunity. Discovering an opportunity that may not quite yet exist is bound to come with flops and failures. There are many ways to frame a failure. The road to success is usually done over a long period of time and typically through smaller achievements. By accepting and analyzing failure, the failed can prevent themselves from ever failing again. 

      My experience with a failure this past semester was by missing the opportunity towards a potential job. With my mother's experience and connections with showtimes and productions in large venues, I was given an expedited opportunity to secure a job with a production company here in Gainesville that works on large projects for places like the Reitz Union, Phillips Center, and Hippodrome Theater. It seemed like a good opportunity with plenty of room for growth in the company; however I was not too initially attracted to the advertised salary, and therefore I did not make it a priority. Due to my lack of professionalism in the matter, I did not adhere to meet proper deadlines for a potential interview, and I was then put on employee waiting list. I decided that my failure to take this opportunity was the best decision for me, and I would like to focus my pursuits toward other types of work.

       Since my initial failure, I continued my search for jobs and started to look for careers that were more related to my long-term goals. In my quest, I have received more interest from other companies, and I feel that I am close to securing a job with a company that I am very excited to work for. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Alex! I like how you said “there are many ways to frame a failure.” I think a lot of times people can get so focused on the bad parts of a failure and miss the ways that they are learning and growing from it. In your case, it sounds like this experience was more positive than negative because it redirected you to a job you are actually excited to work for. I hope you get the job!

    ReplyDelete