Friday, January 18, 2019

Alex Arnau's Entrepreneurship Story

The Motive to Make Change

      One of my fondest experiences throughout my entire academic career has been my involvement in unique invention projects. I have participated in a total of three interactive projects that required both inventing and entrepreneurship. The objective for these projects were to identify common problems and devise original inventions to serve as feasible solutions.
     My first engagement in the realm of inventing was during the sixth grade 'Invention Convention.' In this convention, students had to make an invention as well as create a video commercial for their product. I managed to plan, draw, and assemble a working prototype of my original invention, the  "Two Way Cleaning Spray." This invention was a spray bottle with multiple working triggers that activated different cleaning detergents. An example of my product's application would work in the following scenario: A customer has just stepped in dog feces and has really dirty boots that requires both a premium leather polish and an antibacterial cleanse. That same customer would then be inclined to purchase the "Two Way Cleaning Spray: Shoe Edition." The spray includes all necessary liquids to clean his shoe with multiple triggers that would spray the desired cleanser. The product and the included commercial were actually rated very highly in the overall 'Invention Convention,' and it made me very excited to do more inventing and entrepreneur projects in the future.
      The second invention of mine was with the Apollo Aeronautics Program, and this event was definitely more serious than the first. This invention was an original prototype of a deployed spacecraft landing system. Our landing modules were to enclose an egg and keep it unharmed after multiple drops from 10 meters high. My prototype, was a clear winner, and passed every single landing test at the event. I was inspired by sneakers for my module invention, and used features similar to the 'Air Max' systems on Nike shoes for the bottom cushion. Additionally, Nike sneakers served as another inspiration as I included a ground stopping herringbone traction pattern, which served as a halting mechanism once the pod hit the floor, similarly to how to bottom of sneakers do an excellent job at keeping feet from sliding. Coincidentally enough, the dimensions, shape, and buoyancy features that were eventually used on the actual landing system engineered by Boeing were strikingly similar to the features that I included on my own prototype, around a decade ago! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0FSeF2jNuI)
       Most recently, during my college career, I had the opportunity to work within a group to invent a children's' toy. This was an assignment within my course, 'Creativity in Context' for the Innovation Academy at the University of Florida. Ultimately, this was a very fulfilling project, and I really enjoyed the critique and the suggestions made from the panel of judges.

Two-Way Cleaning Spray



ENT3003:

        Principles of Entrepreneurship struck me as a very interesting and engaging class. I was easily able to envision myself succeeding and being actively involved with the class and the future benefits that the class can provide for my future. Being an entrepreneur is very important to me and is definitely a professional goal, because the freedom to pursue a venture independently allows me to use my own visionary and creative ability. I hope that the class continues to drive me to tap into my creative mind, and put me in the right position to act on an idea correctly.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Alex, it was extremely interesting to hear your different experiences with the various projects you’ve worked on especially reading about the Aeronautics Program. Hearing about your inspiration by Nike's and the way that idea lead to the cultivation of your prototype was great. The reason why I enjoyed the post as much as I did is because I done similar things in the past such as creating my own film society in high school, and the science invention events I have taken part of such as the Regeneron Student Talent Search. The post was a well written and a fun read!
    ~Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, hearing about the Aeronautics Program was really interesting. Ingenuity at a young age is a great indicator of aptitude! You are definitely a natural entrepreneur. It is great that you are taking your interests into your own hands and expanding in those respective fields.

    ReplyDelete